Advanced HTML and Intro to CSS
Back to main menu
Block 2: Advanced HTML and Intro to CSS
Block 2 Overall Goals
- Review basic HTML learned in Course Block 1
- Learn to make new web pages using unix commands
- Create basic navigation from and to homepage from new pages
- Learn some advanced formatting tags
- Introduce a CSS style sheet
Students will build upon their websites created in Course Block 1 and continue to add more complex HTML and CSS into their web pages. Each week, the lessons taught in class will be incorporated into their project.
Lesson 1: Review of Course Block 1 and Making a New Page
Students will do a thorough review of all the concepts learned in the previous course block and learn how to make a new web pages.
- Creating a New Directory: mkdir [name of new page.html]
- Emacs Commands: cd, ls
Lesson 2: Simple Navigation
Students will learn how to link their new pages together and create a simple navigation bar to allow easy navigation to and from their new web pages.
- Linking New Page Back and Forth From Homepage./li>
- Creating Simple Nav Bar Using HTML
- Inline Link Formatting
Lesson 3: Lines, Lists, and Tables
Students will learn to add lines, lists (both ordered and unordered), and make tables.
- Making Lists (ordered and unordered)
- Making Tables to Put Text and Photos In
- Making a Line
Lesson 4: Setting up a CSS internal style sheet
- Using Headers
- What is CSS?
- Setting Up an Internal Style Sheet
Lesson 5: Defining styles for an element and CSS comments
- Defining Styles for An Element
- Defining Header Styles
- Moving Background and Font color into Style Sheet
- HTML Comments